“I am in a BIG dilemma,” my ex-intern asked me for help.
“I am waiting for my dream company, P&G to confirm my job offer but I don’t know if it will ever happen. On the other hand, I MUST reply to the other pending job offers soon,” she said.
I work for P&G.
“WHAT IF I ended up getting neither of them? ” referring to being rejected by P&G after she rejected the other pending offers.
“From a scale of 1-10, how would you rate P&G and the other offers?” I asked.
“P&G is 10 and the rest…are 2s,” she said.
She had made up her mind; she just did not know yet.
“Look! Life is not black and white. Between 2 to 10, there are plenty of options, no? ” I said.
“Such as?” she asked.
“How about becoming a full-time daughter for just 3 months?” I asked.
A long pause.
“I’d rate that a 9. My mom is getting lonelier,” she said.
“If you can take action on a 9 while expecting the 10, why settle for a 2?” I asked.
Sometimes, you have to give up good for great.
She rejected the other jobs offers.
She adopted a dog instead.
I hired her, Shanna, two weeks later.